Friday 18 December 2009

An alternative to crackers

This year I thought I would do something different to christmas crackers for the dinner table. For the last few yearsI have splashed out and bought some of the expensive crackers because they actually had decent gifts in, silver plated jewellry cuff links, mini salt and pepper pot brilliant size for picnics, money clips , pens etc. but as all the nice gift crackers we now seem to have had and I don't want duplicates of the gifts kicking around and I haven't had time to find my own mini sized gifts to make my own crackers, added to no-one can keep or is willing to wear their hats for long I decided to try something different that I know everyone will like.

I decided to make some small favour boxes I reckon they will hold 6 to 12 chocolates, must admit I hope as I've not tried to see how many yet but thought I would make one for each person, so expect to see quite a few over the next few posts, unless I get borede with makeing the same shape and vary that bit.

For christmas day my mum and dad come to us for lunch, we use to go to mums but since her brain tumor they have come to us and even though now mum is much better I think its good that they still come to us as mum gets to relax more and she deserves it. On new years day its Tims family turn, we use to alternate it and swop them over but its been this way round for over 10 years now and just means everyone knows what they're doing, its really just like 2 christmas days as we even save the gifts till then too. This may be the last one for them in their house as they are moving to their apartment in Tenerife and their youngest daughter is buying their house so it must be tinged with sadness as even if they come home to visit and stay there it will nolonger be their home so we are going to make it extra special hopefully no family arguements etc.

Well my first favour I thought I would start with some colour challenges and use my Manga boy for the guys so there will be at least 3 for starters, the first is in green and gold for the challenge over at Cute Daisy May there theme is , yes you guessed green and gold. My wee boy has gold bracers and gold straks in his hair, I supoose I could have used green card but I didn't have a piece left that was a suitable size, and it will be a nice excuse to revisit the papermill shop to replenish, hubby is off work next week so we will be out and about weather permitting and he's just so generous. I got my christmas pressie early and now have my own computer so I can blog even if my son has school work or some 'important ' game to play. Anyway hope you dont get too fed up of seeing my little boxes and hope all of you are getting organised so you can all enjoy christmas with those you love.


I think I might enter into the Passion for Promarkers mega competition anything but a card, the more entries you have the more chances of winning a mega fab prize, and I would so love to win more promarkers as I am so addicted to them!

8 comments:

Ann Whitfield said...

I'm making boxes this year too Julye and love yours! Can't wait to see the rest. Thank you for joining us at CDM
Ann x

Linnie said...

Boxes are a brilliant idea..i thought of buying very cheap crackers re covering with fab papers and ribbons but also replacing the cheap toy things inside with my own choice of small gifts....it is cheaper than buying the snaps if you go to a pound shop.....Fab take on the challenge
thankyou for coming out to [play with CDM this week
luv
linniexxx

coldwaters2 said...

Brilliant idea love the little favour boxes thank you so much for sharing with us at CDM

Hugs and happy holidays
Lorraine x

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic alternative to Christmas Crackers, many thanks for joining us at CDM this week, hope to see you back in the New Year. Hugs Avril xxxx

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Julye, what a perfect idea for table decorations. Such a cute image and perfect colouring. Thanks for joining in with our mega Christmas challenge over at PFP. Hugs, Denise x

pinky said...

Excellent idea for the replacement crackers, they really are only rubbish lol. Might have to use this one next year. Thanks for joining us at cdm this week.
Pinky

lil-paper-pixie said...

Another cute box Julye, Good luck and thanks for playing along.

Hugs

Sarah

Ida / Little said...

Fab box Julye, a great alternative! thanks for joining and good luck in the draw of the wonderful prizes!

Hugs Ida