Saturday 23 April 2011

Happy birthday to our wonderful son

Sorry long post and lots of pictures too.

Our son Andrew is 17 today, so hard to believe he now towers above me at around 6ft and is as everyone says such a big lad when he entered this world at 26 weeks gestation and was given a 2% chance of survival, not brilliant odds at all.

He was bigger than everyone expected when he arrived too, I had been told as I was wheeled down to theatre for an emergency section due to pregnancy problems that if he weighed 2lb he would be a really good size , I wasn't convinced as I hadn't been able to eat much during my pregnancy and had been living mostly on 1/4 cups of milk every few hours, hardly fantastic for baby growth and I'd lost loads of weight. My wonderful son arrived weighing a grand 2lb 10 1/2oz and measured 30cm but had transparent skin and was bright pink and looked oh so tiny.These pics were all I saw of my son for the first 3 days as I was in intensive care and his chances of survival were slim to none, but we obviously had a fighter as we are so happy to celebrate his birthday, not that he's bothered and wants it to be just another day. 


17 going on 70! I don't think he really means it though.






I said  yesterday that I had almost finished his card well here it is. I love this design hope he does too, but I changed the dimensions from the tutorial on splitcoast stampers and made it bigger.

 

I used a catch the bug image which I once again coloured with promarkers and sakura pens.
The card front I stamped with a see-d stamp which is tiny swirls in deep pink and purple.


The slide I used brilliance blue ink and holographic embossing powder for the word sentiments sorry not sure of make,

and the happy birthday stamp I actually got from Asda when they tried selling craft products but they stopped after what seemed a few weeks.The streamer image I used is also from the same see-d set, which I stamped in gold used the same embossing powder and added colour with sakura pens.


I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:-

Tip top tuesday-open challenge
Ladybug-anything goes
Scrap creations-use a digi image
Tueday morning sketches-suprise pop up card
sweet stamps-use a frame
A spoonful of sugar-celebrate
Simon says-emboss it
Meljen-masculine
Charmed crafts-spring theme or colours(wasn't sure what colours I was limited to so went for a walk around the garden to see what spring colours were there see pics below)








17 comments:

Nikbee said...

Happy birthday Andrew.
A wonderful card. I love the image.

Nikki x

Sue H @ Astrachic Studio said...

Hi Julye, great posting. 17 such a fun age. Happy Birthday Andrew. Lovely card, male cards to buy are boring. Not yours though! Enjoyed the flower photos. Happy Easter.
Sue

Ruthie said...

WOW Go Andrew! Incredible to see his pic today and see how far he has come!

Just an aside...you popped over and asked where the unicorn image came from on my blog - its a delicious doodles one - glad you liked it!

Rx

Kerry said...

It's amazing what doctors can do Juyle...what a strapping young man Andrew is. Fantastic card and I'm sure he loved it...Happy birthday Andrew! Thanks for joining us at LCI this week xx

Dawnll said...

Wonderful post and a happy birthday to your miracle baby...they always remain our babies.
Thank you for sharing with us this week at
Sweet Stamps Challenge
Have a sweet week.

Peggy said...

Great card and a wonderful reason to celebrate!! Thanks for playing with us at Going Grey with Scrap-Creations.

Sue U said...

Aww Julye, thanks for sharing the story of your son - that he made it through is reason enough to celebrate. Hope you all had a fab day!!
Many thanks for sharing his lovely card with us at Ladybug Crafts Ink Challenge this week

Sue xx

Melissa Craig said...

Such a sweet card! Happy Birthday to your little... ahem.. big miracle! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

Jeannie from PolkaCabana.wordpress.com said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome sone! I have a 28 weeker and a 30 weeker. But things are much different today than they were 17 years ago. I love that you call the birthing place, the theatre. I love your card! Thanks for playing along with Sweet Stamps:)

Sprytebyrd said...

Awesome card!
Thanks so much for playing along at Meljen's Designs this week!
Hugs!! Dee Sprytebyrd's Sentiments

Jackie Randolph said...

Such a great birthday for your son. Thanks for sharing and joining us at Sweet Stamps

Hugs
Jackie - Sweet Stamps DT

pinky said...

I'd say his birthday is more than special every year, a little miracle!! Love what you made for him.Thanks for playing along at LCI this week.
Pinky

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Beautiful card! Those animals are so cute and slide cards are always fun : ) Happy Birthday to your son too!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!

-Sarah

Sandy Fredrick said...

Awesome Birthday card for you son. Great coloring. Thank you for joining our challenge at SweetStamps.com.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

What a fabulous and inspiring story!!! Happy Birthday to your son and thanks so much for joining our challenge on such a special day!! Gorgeous card - thanks for playing at Meljen's Designs!
Hugs,
M

Debby said...

Happy B-Day Andrew! Woohoo!!!

Julye your flowers are beautiful, things are not blooming so well in in Ohio yet. Hugs

Heather said...

A belated Happy Birthday to Andrew!!
Fabulous 'pop-up' card Julye, Great colourway and such an adorable image.

So glad you could join us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge
hugs
Heather xx